Bicultural Worker – HSP
Four (4) Months, Fixed Term vacancies
Who we are
MDA exists to shape a better future for all – a welcoming, inclusive, globally connected, and economically strong community. MDA is committed to delivering a Queensland that is welcoming and where all new residents have the opportunity to fully contribute to and participate in a multicultural society where our diversity is recognized as our strength.
MDA is an independent organisation committed to achieving the best settlement outcomes for our clients. As one of Queensland’s largest multicultural agencies, we work with newly-arrived individuals and families from refugee and migrant backgrounds, and their local communities.
What your journey with MDA will offer
MDA offers more than just a career – this is a true opportunity to make your mark and to be inspired by our energetic and diverse work culture.
- Opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to creating a welcoming, multicultural society;
- Opportunity to work for one of the largest and most reputable settlement organisations in Queensland;
- Ability to salary package $15,900 per fringe benefits tax year.
As a Bicultural Worker, you will be responsible for providing culturally appropriate and responsive support to both MDA clients and staff.
Bicultural Worker – Arabic
- Full Time, Four Months Fixed Term Opportunity for someone who has proficient language skills (reading, writing and speaking), in both English and Arabic.
Bicultural Worker – Swahili
- Full Time, Four Months Fixed Term Opportunity for someone who has proficient language skills (reading, writing and speaking), in English and Swahili.
Bicultural Worker – Karen
- Part Time, Four Months Fixed Term Opportunity for someone who has proficient language skills (reading, writing and speaking), in English, Karen and Burmese.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work outside normal hours to attend airport reception and provide on-arrival support to clients;
- Assist Case Managers to complete initial case assessments and case reviews by providing language support and cultural advice and attending outreach appointments with clients;
- With direction from the Settlement Teams, conduct settlement services including airport reception, local area orientation, assistance to attend medical appointments, ensuring clients are supported to arrange appropriate appointments and access information in order to develop their lifeskills capacity;
- Cross collaboration with other program areas such as the Employment, Lifeskills and Community Development teams in order to gain the best settlement outcomes for clients;
- Assist clients to access a range of services, information and programs delivered by external agencies and sources.
You are also expected to have:
- Sound and accurate knowledge and understanding of Australian culture and systems which are relevant to client settlement, along with the ability to explain information about important life skills so that clients are able to independently establish their lives in Australia;
- Demonstrated commitment to working with all members of the community, irrespective of cultural and religious affiliations and a commitment to social justice and human rights;
- Excellent records management and general administration experience, along with proficiency in MS Office and advanced computer literacy;
- Current Open Drivers License and willingness to drive a Tarago;
- Ability to work outside normal hours and willingness to apply for an Aviation Security Identification Card.
For more information, please download the position description.
How to Apply
If you are ready for your next challenge, please email your application to the Recruitment Officer at email@example.com no later than 9 AM Friday, 18th January 2019. Your application must contain a current resume and a brief summary (no more than one page) outlining what has motivated you to apply and the key skills and experience you feel you would bring to the position.
Please feel free to discuss this opportunity with Aasha Anoop, Recruitment Officer on 0401 219 329, if the role is of interest.