WORKING WITH REFUGEES
Do you want to engage more effectively with people from refugee backgrounds?
This training program gives you practical skills to enhance the services you provide to people from refugee backgrounds within the welfare and services sector.
‘The best presentation / training around cross-cultural work I have experienced. An extremely informative, useful and educational presentation. I feel my work is better informed and improved by this training.’
(Participant feedback from the Working With Refugees training held in Brisbane)
|Upcoming dates||Please click on the date to register:|
|24 July 2019 | Brisbane|
|Brisbane, Toowoomba, Rockhampton|
|MDA Ltd (Multicultural Development Australia)|
|Who should attend|
|1 x full day training session, 9:30am to 4:00pm|
|$250 per participant (catering provided)|
|3 to 5 participants per organisation per session: 15% discount|
|6 to 10 participants per organisation per session: 20% discount|
|Register and pay online by clicking on the links below:|
|For assistance with the registration and payment process, please email or call us on 0432 569 720 or 07 3337 5400.|
|To be notified of upcoming dates, please subscribe here to MDA Training emails.|
- Understanding and communicating with clients from diverse refugee backgrounds
- Responding appropriately to needs specific to people from refugee backgrounds
- Helping people from refugee backgrounds regain their independence
This training program provides you with ready-to-apply strategies for managing these challenges so you can achieve peak performance in your organisation.
- Understand the experiences of clients from refugee backgrounds
- Understand Australia’s resettlement program and how it fits within the nation’s response to refugees
- Define “settlement” and identify the key objectives of settlement service delivery
- Understand the impact of the refugee journey on people’s capacity to adapt to life in Australia
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills, experience and attitudes needed to work successfully with refugees. This includes:
- Understanding culture and its impact on our work
- Requirements for successful cross-cultural interactions
- Strategies for cross-cultural communication
- How to conduct an effective needs assessment
- Culturally sensitive approaches to conflict management
- Demonstrate an understanding of self awareness and support
- Engaging with young people from refugee backgrounds
- Skills for multicultural customer service
- Working with international students
- Supporting your multicultural team
Phone: 0432 569 720 or 07 3337 5400.
Subscribe here for regular updates on our cross-cultural training programs.
Free Resources for Registered Training Organisations
MDA is part of a consortium of agencies with a track record in developing quality training packages for use within the VET system that focus specifically on building the capacity of those working with people from refugee backgrounds. To date, three packages have been developed:
CHCSET001: Work Effectively with Forced Migrants | A general overview for anyone whose work brings them into contact with refugees or other forced migrants, be they settlement workers, teachers, employment officers, nurses or a worker in any one of many other fields.
CHCSET002: Undertake Bicultural Work with Forced Migrants in Australia | For people from a refugee background who are working or want to work with refugees.
CHCYTH001: Engage Respectfully with Young People from Refugee Backgrounds | For people working, or intending to work, with young people from refugee backgrounds
Download the training packages using the links above, or search for these titles at the online bookshop at AMES Australia.
Each training package contains a comprehensive Trainer’s Guide and a Participant’s Handbook, available free of charge to Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) and agencies wanting to enhance the skills of their staff. In addition, RTOs can request an Assessment Guide that includes fully developed assessment tasks, a validated assessment matrix and a marking guide.